DONHEAD ST MARY VILLAGE HALL PAST AND PRESENT
Donhead St Mary Village Hall was once the local village school.
In 1871 the original local school (now a private house) became a National School. However, it very soon outgrew its original premises. A new school building was constructed in 1875 and when the school eventually closed between the wars it became the community's Village Hall.
There is a plaque in the hall in memory of Henry Everingham, of Church Hill House, who was secretary to the Trustees for nineteen years when he died in July 1945. Henry was one of the longest members of the committee and funds were raised in his memory to pay off the outstanding debt of £200 for the purchase of the hall.
The Village Hall was a popular venue for plays, pantomimes and pageants together with poetry and play readings. It was also a popular venue for private birthday and anniversary parties.